Ingredients for Brine:
- 4 lbs chicken wings, cleaned (you can use drumettes, or whole wings, but make sure the wing tips are removed)
- 6 cups of your favorite sweet tea
- 1/3 cup Bourbon
- 1⁄4 cup Kosher Salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 sprig Rosemary
- 1 sprig Sage
- 1 sprig Thyme
Ingredients for Sweet Tea Bourbon BBQ Sauce:
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup Sweet Tea
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire
- 2 tsp Yellow Mustard
- 3 tsp Spiced Living’s Mamie Lee Soul Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Bourbon (more can be added according to your preference)
Ingredients for Coating Chicken:
- 4 cups self rising flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 4 tbsp Spiced Living Mamie Lee Soul Seasoning Canola Oil for frying
First, let’s make the brine. In a large bowl, stir together the sweet tea, bourbon, salt,
lemon juice, and herbs. Make sure the salt dissolves. Add the chicken and cover with clear wrap. Brine overnight in the refrigerator for 24 hours (optimal).
After brining, discard the brine and pat the chicken dry.
For the BBQ Sauce, add the ketchup, Sweet Tea, dark brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire, Yellow Mustard, and the Mamie Lee Soul Seasoning to a sauce pan. Simmer on low and whisk for about 5 mins. Add in the bourbon and taste. Add more bourbon if you choose. Continue to simmer for 1 more minute. Let Cool.
To fry the chicken, using a large cast iron pan or deep fryer, heat oil to 325°. Using a Large bowl, add flour, cornstarch and Soul Seasoning. Mix well. Dredge chicken in the flour and shake excess off. Let sit for a minimum of 5 mins to allow the coating to adhere. Fry each piece until super crispy, golden brown and temperature reaches 165°.
Once chicken is done, immediately brush with BBQ Sauce. Enjoy!